Reality Check for Gaels

Ranelagh Gaels’ unbeaten start to 2011 came to a cruel end yesterday; a goal in the dying seconds secured full points for visitors Erin go Bragh in the Division 8 clash at Bushy Park.

The game could have been over as a contest well before then – a plucky second half revival from the Gaels meant they entered the final five minutes with a lead that was scarcely believable after watching the first half proceedings.

The fine form the team had been showing so far this year completely deserted them in the opening exchanges – handling errors, poor kick passing and bad decision making all contributing to an erratic display. The signs were ominous from the start with the Clonee side scoring a goal with their very first attack and quickly adding a couple more scores.

They appeared to have mislaid their shooting boots on the early morning journey across town though and conspired to kick several wides.

This gave Ranelagh a bit of hope and amazingly they only found themselves trailing by a goal at the break, 1-3 to 0-3.

Regardless of the quality of performance, one thing that is guaranteed with every Gaels side is fighting spirit and they duly obliged in the second half, clawing their way back into it. A wonderfully worked move down the left was expertly finished to the net by Eamon, his second goal of the day, and was followed by a penalty calmly dispatched by Johnny Conlon.

Throughout the game the half back line had carried the fight to Erin; Ian and Gearoid played on the wings either side of Denis Doolan, who was outstanding in directing his charges from centre back. Gearoid put in a man of the match display, initially operating at wing back before moving further up the field in the second half.

The hard graft looked to have paid off as the lead stretched to two points heading into stoppage time. There was one final twist however; the excellent Denis Crehan and his namesake Doolan dispossessed the opposition’s front man, only for the ball to fall to a stray boot on the ground and with one pull the ball hit the net. That was the last score of the game, leaving a point between them at the whistle, 3-8 to 3-7.

Losing a last minute goal is always tough but in truth the damage was done in the first half. Credit must go to the team for their second half response and they have a chance to put things right with a cup game next weekend.

4 Comment(s)

  1. I thought Regan was from Dublin!…im sure i saw him wearing a Leinster jersey last weekend!

    Re:Regan on twitter | Apr 14, 2011 @ 09:48 | Reply

  2. He’s one of these lads who’s from out in the sticks supporting Leinster and proud of Brian O’Driscoll being made an honorary southsider by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

    Square Ball | Apr 14, 2011 @ 10:00 | Reply

  3. Great session last night Enda!

    Mr Lunges | Apr 15, 2011 @ 08:33 | Reply

  4. Careful Mr Lunges peter’s checking all the IP addresses.

    John P | Apr 15, 2011 @ 09:30 | Reply

Post a Comment

  • News Categories

  • Archives