Lazurus Alive and Well in Ranelagh

Another championship outing for Ranelagh Gaels and another extra time epic.
A new chapter was opened in the Gaels history books as for the first time a second team took part in the Dublin Junior D Championship with Robert Emmets of Walkinstown providing the opposition.

The starting fifteen was made up of seasoned campaigners and some Gaels debutants and they got off to a flying start with Gordon Manning finding the net with a speculative effort.

The scoring continued as Anthony Beades and Alan Kelly, makng his first appearance since 2010, stretched the lead leaving the Gaels in a commanding position at the break – 1-6 to 0-2.

Declan Beirne gave a super display at corner back and began many of the side’s attacks with numerous dispossessions and interceptions. John Daly took up station at centre back and he showed calmness and composure on the ball throughout as did Shane Minihane behind him at full-back.


The visitors refused to lie down though and produced a storming last quarter, picking up the breaks around the middle and getting their key men on the ball. Their greater fitness also told as they reeled off 1-4 without reply, leaving the home side behind and staring at a first round exit.


The midfield partnership was immense all night; Gearoid O’Flynn’s ball winning and hard graft were key to the Gaels performance while Danny Kennedy registered some great scores, none more so than the audacious free that levelled it up at the end of normal time.


In atrocious conditions and with energy being sapped out of the legs, a Ranelagh team faced a second extra time challenge in less than a week.


Despite the incessant rain a sizeable crowd had gathered to watch the proceedings, including the Dollies with the Brollies from Blackrock.


Emmets looked to have more in the tank at this stage and flew out of the traps, scoring four points on the bounce but a free for the hosts left a goal between them as they swapped ends and faced the final ten minutes.


Ronan Rasdale produced a solid display between the sticks, and he pulled off a crucial save as the Gaels tried to rescue the match – a goal had to be found from somewhere.


A high ball was lobbed into the square and as the ball broke it met with Kelly’s fist – sides level once more.


There was still time for more drama however, Emmets worked another score to hit the front and again the Gaels had to summon the courage to find an equaliser.


The heads didn’t drop and following great work from Gearoid the ball was worked in for a free. The final word was left to Danny who stroked over another point to add to his impressive tally. It finished up 2-10 to 1-13, both sides live to fight another day.

1 Comment(s)

  1. Great battling to get a draw in the end lads – well done! You never know – Liam might even have noticed.

    And thanks to all the lads who turned out to show their support on the line and an even bigger thanks to Martin, who found the cash to pay the ref!

    Peter | Jun 22, 2011 @ 22:33 | Reply

Post a Comment

  • News Categories

  • Archives