Fat Lady Synges for Ranelagh

Ranelagh Gaels 2-7          Templeogue Synge St 2-17

Ranelagh Gaels’ championship run came to a disappointing end in the late summer sun at Bushy Park last night when they were beaten by a classy Templeogue Synge Street outfit.

After some initial Ranelagh dominance, Synger roared into a nine point lead, helped by some brilliant point taking on their part.  Try as they might, the Ranelagh ladies had no answer in a ten minute spell in the first half when the Templeogue outfit were rampant and ruthless, kicking ten points unanswered, some from near impossible angles.

However, Ranelagh fought back bravely in the first half and points from Bríd Firtear and Ger Connolly kept them in touch, and they rightly felt they were well in it at the break.

At the start of the second half it was Synge Street who extended their lead with two exquisite points from either touch line.  Synge Street, having a cushion of a lead to protect, were able to keep Ranelagh at bay and pick off some scores when needed to extend their lead to nine points moving into the last quarter.

The Gaels struggled to put the passes together to unlock the Synge Street defence until the last 10 minutes of play when a well worked goal from Barbara Whooley reduced the margin to six.  Scores from Aoife Long and another from Firtear reduced the margin to four points with a little over five minutes remaining.  All of a sudden, Ranelagh were right back in it.

Once again Synge Street responded, getting the scores when they needed them.  A blistering shot on goal left netminder Mairead Stamp with no chance and Synge Street added another goal moments later to kill off the game.

Ranelagh battled bravely to the finish and were awarded a penalty late on which was coolly dispatched by Barbara.

Alas it wasnt to be and while the championship is over for another year, there are some remaining fixtures to be played in the cup so the season can still end on a high.

Post a Comment

  • News Categories

  • Archives